navigation

2.10.16

bareMinerals BarePro Performance Wear Powder Foundation Review



Hi everyone,

It has been in the back of my mind to try bareMinerals for a good few years now as everyone that I know that uses it always seems to have really good skin! I don’t know if this is a coincidence or due to the fact that they have a good skin care regime behind the scenes but it has always been something that I have noticed. When I was in Liverpool a few weeks ago I found myself wondering over to the counter where I ended up buying the bareMinerals BarePro foundation which was launched at the beginning of last month.


The main thing that has always put me off bareMinerals is the coverage. If you have read my blog before, you may know that I am an Estée Lauder Double Wear addict which helps hide a world of problems and I just knew that a powder or mineral foundation wouldn’t be able to compete in this area. The assistant at the bareMinerals counter tried to tell me that this is a myth and you can achieve full coverage with them, but I have yet to be persuaded. The coverage is slightly better than I expected but I still need to use a fair bit of concealer to achieve the look I want.

There is a brush which goes alongside this foundation but at £24 I wasn’t ready to splash out and was sure I would have something in my collection that would do the same job. The assistant let me try the one in the shop and said that I wouldn’t be able to achieve the same look without it but this hasn’t been the case at all. I have been using the Real Techniques Buffing Brush and have found this to do exactly the same job so I wouldn’t suggest buying the bareMinerals one if you don’t need it.

Another down side for me is the staying power. BareMinerals claim that this foundation will stay put for 12 hours but as I expected, it doesn’t last quite as long as I am used to. I find myself having to touch it up a fair bit halfway through a working day in order to make it last. I don’t mind doing this so much but I wouldn’t reach for it if I was going out after work for example as I feel I would need to take it off and start again. The formula is also quite powdery, which again isn’t a major surprise, but it does have a tendency to be a little messy.

So are there any plus sides to this foundation? Well it is super smooth and lightweight on the skin so it barely feels like you have any makeup on. It does make me feel like my skin can breathe a bit more and it isn’t clogging up my pores or causing as much damage to it. Being formulated with 90% vitamins and minerals, I feel like I am giving my skin a bit more of a helping hand instead of smothering it under a heavy liquid foundation. The finished look is also really natural which I like for every day wear.

There are an amazing 20 shades available in this foundation but at £27 it is a little on the pricey side, especially if you bought the brush alongside it. I have to be honest and say that I am undecided if I would buy it again, mostly due to the price and coverage. If I had really good skin to start with then I would definitely use this foundation all the time but as I have been having difficulties at the moment I don’t feel that it provides me with enough of a helping hand. I am trying to use this foundation as much as possible and if I see an improvement in the condition of my skin, I may be converted. However, I would feel that I would need another, more heavy duty foundation to use for special occasions, nights out and longer days.

I hope you have found the review useful and I have covered everything but if you guys have any questions please let me know in the comments below.

Have you tried any bareMinerals products? What did you think of them?

Thanks for reading,

Hannah xx


18 comments:

  1. I quite like their Original foundation. Its a shame this one doesn't offer high coverage especially for the cost x
    A Blushing Beauty Blog x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always see this brand too and want to try it wondering if it will improve my skin. Like you, I'm a Double Wear girl so I think that the coverage sounds too light

    Rachel xx
    http://www.thedailyluxe.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried a bareMinerals products before so found this review very helpful! I like a bit more coverage that will last all day especially for work, so probably wouldn't be good for that :(
    I am however intrigued by the Estée Lauder Double Wear as I heard so much good things about it but have never got round to trying it :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, that's a shame that this didn't live up to your expectations, Hannah but glad that you managed to make it work. I am currently trying a powder foundation from Vichy, I was really worried that it won' look good on my dry skin but so far I am seriously loving it.

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's too bad it's not working out as expected. I have never tried any foundations from bareminerals except for their Complexion Rescue gel cream which I quite like because of my dry skin. I'm not sure how well this would work for my skin. I too like the Estée Lauder Double Wear. Such a great foundation!

    Face to Curls | http://facetocurls.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried Bare Minerals' loose shadows in the past and loved them, but I've never tried their face products because I've heard that they don't provide full coverage, as you've experienced. My skin isn't 100% where I'd like it to be, so I wouldn't embrace it fully just yet. However, when it does get to where I want it to be, then I think I'll give them a try, especially during the summer months when I don't want the feeling of a lot of product on my skin. Nearly everyone that I know who has tried Bare Minerals have said the same as you, so I do believe that this is a perfect line for those who have clear, healthy skin and don't want full coverage or like more of a light, natural look. Thanks so much for sharing your honest thoughts and experience with us, beauty, I really appreciate it! I hope you're having a great week so far!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    www.thestylecontour.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. While I don't think it's for me I do appreciate the fact that there are so many shades available.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Shelleen I completely agree, it is provided just a bit more coverage I would have liked it so much more! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Rachel-Beth It's definitely a big step to change from Double Wear to something like this with no where near as much coverage. I do think it is better for your skin but it's a shame I can't really achieve the look I want with it x

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Natasha Thank you Natasha, I'm glad you found the review helpful :) I would recommend Double Wear if you want a more flawless finish and higher coverage and it is one of the very few foundations that will last all day on my skin. You will have to let me know how you get on if you decide to give it a try :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Shireen L. Platt I saw a photo you had put online after you had used the Vicky foundation and it looked fab on you Shireen :) I wish I had naturally clearer skin and then something like this would work better for me I'm sure but unfortunately I need a little more help in that area! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Ann-Marie Cato Double Wear seems to be a popular choice and I can definitely understand why :) The bareMinerals ones seem to be great for those that have lovely clear skin naturally and I really did want it to work for me but it's just the coverage that puts me off x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can understand your feelings when it comes to coverage - I can relate as I used to have pretty bad acne and found Estée Lauder's Double Wear foundation was a total godsend at the time. Perhaps when you're feeling a little better about your skin you could give this foundation another go?! :) Have a great weekend!

    aglassofice.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Jalisa GironIt's a shame as I love the idea behind the products and the fact that they are made up mainly of 90% vitamins and minerals making them seem a lot healthier for your skin. If they provided more coverage then I would be much more likely to continue using this foundation but hopefully my skin will improve soon and it will work better for me. Thank you and I hope you are having a fab week too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Gabrielle I'm hoping that my skin will improve soon and I can use this foundation more. I wish I had discovered it at a younger age when my skin was actually much better. I feel like I have overloaded it with products in recent years which hasn't helped its condition x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you :) hope you had a great weekend too x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This powder looks so good! I love BareMinerals products!
    xoxo

    Ileana

    Novelstyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Ileana I just wish they weren't so pricey! Hope you had a fab weekend :) x

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS